Show NotesDownload episode MP3
Nix & Kix produce a range of adult soft drinks with a cayenne pepper kick. In 2014 co-founders Kerstin and Julia set out to create a brand with a difference to remove some of the stigma and boredom that surrounds soft drinks.
Breaking into the pub and bar scene with a non-alcoholic beverage has proved challenging so far but is still very much the end-goal. In the meantime you’ll find these delicious drinks in supermarkets, in canteens and internationally as export has become a big part of their growth strategy.
With zero food and drink experience Kerstin and Julia had to take a “just in time” approach to starting and growing the business. Tune in to this episode to hear the full entrepreneur story.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- Where the idea for making a soft drink with added chilli came from
- The challenges around getting a soft drink noticed in a pub or bar setting
- The best places to be from a brand awareness and discovery perspective
- Which international markets are worth looking at due to their similarity with the UK
- What to consider and research before exporting to new markets
- Why it’s important to create one version of your product for all markets
- The just in time, step by step approach Nix & Kix took in the early days
Notes and Links
Learn more about Nix & Kix and buy their drinks on their website
Just in Time manufacturing
Resource of the Week
Gov.uk guidelines on sugar taxHMRC: Exporting goods outside the EU Brexit: Exporting and importing goods if the UK leaves the EU without a deal
Exports Guide from FDF – lots of great advice