056 – Overcoming Food Startup Superhero Syndrome with Guy Routledge and Kylie Ackers
Are you a superhero? Do you wear a cape and fight crime? No, that’s not the kind of superhero we’re talking about. Do you think you have to do everything in your business because you’re the only one who knows what needs to be done and how to do it the best? That’s Superhero Syndrome. And it’s not a good thing.
As entrepreneurs we dream of big things but in the early days it’s often just you – or you and a co-founder – doing everything. To get ahead we think we have to do more and more and what ends up happening is inevitable burnout. In this bonus episode Kylie and I talk about our challenges with Superhero Syndrome and three ways to tackle it.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- What Superhero Syndrome is
- Why you should try to avoid doing everything – even though you think you have to
- The value of saying NO and the cost of saying YES
- How to focus on the work that only you can do
- How to start outsourcing to free up more of your time
Notes and Links
Overcoming Superhero Syndrome tips:
- Do less by saying NO more
- Outsource to a freelancer, contractor or virtual assistant
- Spend your time working on the vision and strategy – outsource everything else
Resource of the Week
Food Founders Blueprint – the step by step marketing system for food startups