054 – Challenging a Dominated Category by Doing Good with Simon Coley from Karma Cola
Why do you do what you do? Is there something deep and meaningful that drives you or do you just have a passion for creating things? Today we’re talking to Simon Coley from Karma Cola about creating a business with purpose to compete in a dominated category.
Karma Cola was founded in 2010 on a simple ideal: what you drink should not only taste good, it should be good for the land, good for the people who grow the ingredients and as good for you as a fizzy drink can be. They’ve taken on the big brands in the dominated soft drinks category and created a brand that’s the antithesis of others on the market. A virtuous cycle of doing good runs throughout the whole business and it’s a hugely inspiring story. If you want to build a challenger brand or one with more purpose and meaning, this episode will definitely get you thinking.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- What cola is actually made from
- How to do good through trade, not aid
- The importance of having a strong purpose behind what you do
- How to do just enough to get started
- Why it’s important to make mistakes
- 3 tips for how to balance doing good with building something commercially viable