034 – A Triple Win in the Fight Against Food Waste with Jamie Crummie from Too Good To Go
Food waste is a huge issue and the UK food industry wastes 1.9 million tonnes of food every year. It’s a similar story in consumers’ homes up and down the country.
Too Good To Go are fighting food waste with a mobile app and marketplace that connects food vendors with hungry consumers. The concept is simple but there’s so much to learn from how the TGTG team have approached the whole experience. Tune in to hear how co-founder Jamie Crummie and his team taught themselves code to cobble together the first version of their app and how they now across Europe and have saved millions of meals from going to waste.
If you’re keen to learn to some coding skills to help you in your business, stick around for this week’s resource of the week. You could even join Guy at one of his Coding for Beginners classes!
In this episode you’ll learn
- The three components of food waste (social, environmental, financial)
- The true cost of food waste in the UK
- Negative to positive (surprise meal)
- How to persuade users to take a chance on you – Trusted food vendors
- How to get people to care about what you do
- The importance of doing unscalable things in the early days in order to scale up
- The power of the consumer to drive change throughout the supply chain
Notes and Links
Too Good To Go app
Resource of the Week: Dash by General Assembly